Radio Swap-Out!

Job Title:

Estamated Time:

Swap the radio over..

1 Hour

.

Actual Time Taken:

.

1 Week 

Tools Required:

A Big Hammer!
Electrical Side Cutters
Soldering Iron

Parts Required:

1 x Autoleads PC99-X30 Interface Leads @ £ 10:80
from eBay

1 x Autoleads PC99-ALP Alpine Patch Lead @ £ 3:99
from eBay

The radio that was installed in the car looked quite good, but the more I got used to it the more problems I started having with it, the first and most annoying one was the lack of responsiveness, when it worked it seemed to work well, it even came with a reversing camera that was quite useful, but it would often just become useless, you would just try to select menu options on the screen but nothing would load.

The other annoying problem was ghat if the car went over a bump the radio would cut out, and as we live on the Isle of Man where the roads are only slightly better than Beirut, this started to get very annoying.

 

I started removing the old radio from the dash, thankfully this was not even fitted right and was loose and easy to pull out.

You normally expect the odd bodge when it comes to wiring in cars, people just don’t seem to want to do things right, its normally just the quick and simple method.

This install though breaks all new levels of bodging, not only had someone cut the cables off the back of the radio, but they left them so short that it will be basically impossible to fix this problem without taking the radio apart, plus you have to love the excessive use of insulation tape everywhere.

Another of my pet hates are these stupid quick conectors that a lot of people use, please just learn to use a soldering iron and shrink wrap tubing, it makes a much neater job.

Thankfully at least they had not butchered the main ISO cables to the radio too much, they had cut the power connections and installed a noise filter inbetween them but this was not really a bad thing, it was just they way that it had been done that was not ideal.

And although there were signs of un-needed bodging at the ISO plug, it was stuff that could thankfully be sorted out quite easilly if required, although at this stage with the amount of isulation tape that i was coming across I decided that I would just replace the main ISO cable to the new radio anyway especially as I had this cable from when I removed the new radio from the old car that it was in.

And just to prove the point of insulation tape being worse than useless alone, here is a good reason that you don’t bodge cables with tape, this one just pulled out while I was removing the radio from the socket in the dashboard.

So the first job is to just remove as much of this crap as possible, its a shame about the radio, but I just don’t have the time to sort this out at the moment, or the space, so its in the bin for this.

With the old radio removed and after pulling out the loose cables that I found such as the rear camera, GPS antenna, old Microphone, etc, I was left with only a small amount of bodging, and something that I can clean up at a later time.

To sort out the crap I had to order a new steering wheel interface, in my case this was the Autoleads P99-X30 along with a P99-ALP Patch Lead for the Alpine Radio that I am installing as a tempory measure until I can afford the Halo 9 for the car.

This took a while to arrive and delayed the installation by a week, but once it arrived I just needed to remove the unwanted cables and then take a soldering iron to all those crappy blue connectors and replace each bodge with a soldered joint covered by shrink wrap tubing.

As well as getting this stuff ordered I need to clean up the cars wiring loom for the radio, by getting rid of the quick connectors that I really love and soldering the connections together and coverign the joints with some heat shrink tubing.

Main Menu

As in the Home Page!.

Jobs Menu

This will take you back to the Discovery II Jobs Menu